There’s no turning back now — I’m on a flight out of LAX — well out of range of the office — so if there’s anything that needs fixing, it’s too late. Yes, folks: crunch is officially over for me. Just in time, too, as working on this game has not had the most positive effect on my health. Observe:
- 11 white hairs, all of which sprouted up during production.
- 1 case of cervical arthritis. Oh, and my neck now curves in the opposite direction to how it’s supposed to be.
- 11 sessions of physical therapy to deal with the consequences of sitting hunched over my tablet for 14-16 hours per day.
- 5 lbs. gained by the end of the project (I gained 20 lbs. on Uncharted 3, so this is actually an improvement).
- 35 bottles of wine consumed throughout production.
- 6 additional bottles of wine consumed the night of art lock.
This cute list is really only the tip of the iceberg. To be honest, this crunch was pretty brutal in a lot of ways, physically, emotionally, mentally, and I’m still in the process of recovering. All that matters to me right now is that, at the end of the day, all the personal sacrifice that I and everyone else put in to this game has paid off, and I got to be part of what I believe is going to be an amazing game.
And I am officially on vacation.